Friday, January 17, 2014

Shepherd Diversity

It has occurred to me in my short career that there are as many reasons for owning sheep as there are owners.  Every industry has its diversity, but I find that the sheep industry (at least in the Northeast USA) is especially diverse.

Consider another agricultural industry.  Say, corn farming.  Maybe I'm wrong but it seems like a corn farmer is a corn farmer.  There may be some that believe in GMO free corn, others that don't, or some that have 1,000 acres and some with only 10.  But the goal is generally the same; grow corn and sell it.

Now think about sheep farming.  Reasons people own/raise sheep.  I'll list a few in no particular order that come to mind:

-companions/pets
-to exhibit/compete at fairs
-to sell meat
-to sell wool/wool products
-to raise your own wool/meat
-to produce cheese
-to keep land open
-to have a tax write off
-project for kids


That's just a few reasons that I've come across.  My point in bringing this up, is that with a variety of reasons for having sheep comes a variety of people.  People I shear for come from every walk of life and are so unique.  Every political persuasion, every belief system, and every different attitude toward sheep.  To some they're a commodity; to others, they're as valuable as the family dog.

There must be a common thread, something about sheep.  But even sheep are diverse, with so many different breeds to choose from.  I never like the question, "what is the best breed of sheep?", because it is dependent on so many factors.  It always comes down to what your goals are and reason for having sheep is.

It is a rare and special privilege to be invited to shear for such interesting people.  When I share stories of some of these customers, people tell me that by the time I retire I'll be able to write a book about all the people I come across.

No comments:

Post a Comment