Saturday, February 19, 2011

Hampshires


Hampshires, my least favorite breed of the 3 my family owns.  But they are beautiful.  Big, rugged black faced sheep.  Today I sheared what I consider to be the top Hampshire flock in New England, the Searles' in Rhode Island.  The best Hampshires in our flock are descendents of a ewe we bought from the Searles.  Some big sheep are just big.  But their sheep are also put together right, they produce like they should, hold their condition (unlike many big but skinny black faced sheep), and are sound and healthy flock. 

I think if the Searles competed more at the fairs they'd find that I'm right; they have the top Hampshire flock in New England.

1 comment:

  1. A year and a half after I wrote this, my point was proven; Strawberry Fields Hampshires (Searles) cleaned up at the three biggest shows around. Premier exhibitor at Big E, K.I.L.E, and N.A.I.L.E. So not only are they the best in the area, they are top of the heap on the national level!

    ReplyDelete