Saturday, February 12, 2011

Left Hand Lazy

Left Hand Lazy (LHL) is the new business I have started over the last couple months.  It is twofold; one part is wool/roving/yarn products and the other part is sheepskins/sheepskin products. 

To quote the newly formed facebook page (and coming soon website):  "LHL is a local business specializing in hand made sheepskin products and locally raised wool products.

All of the sheepskin products are handmade by Anna from materials that are carefully chosen for quality and durability. Products currently available: slippers, men's hats, women's hats, vests, mittens, children's wear, car seat covers, whole sheepskins. "World-Class sheepskins from your local seamstress"

LHL wool, roving, and yarn are from locally raised sheep shorn by Aaron. Products available: raw wool from various breeds, natural colored yarn and roving available soon. "World-Class yarn from your local shearer" "


For the sheepskin portion I have partnered with Anna, who is a very talented seamstress and fashion designer.  She's the real brains behind the business.  The yarn is sort of my own thing, I have been and will be this spring selecting and buying quality wool that I shear and sending it out to be made into yarn and/or roving.  The main goal of this portion of LHL is to help the sheep farmers out by buying their wool for more money than they can otherwise sell it for.

Why the name?  I realize everyone will be asking that, so I'll address it now.  First, I just thought of it, and I like it.  I think it sounds good.  I like the symetry of LHL.  In shearing, the use of your left hand is very important, always pushing and pulling to prepare the wool and skin for the next blow.  When I was first learning to shear my teachers would criticize me saying I have a lazy left hand.  I thought it also applied to the yarn business because I don't spin the wool myself, therefore my left hand is lazy.  It's just a name.

1 comment: